DSD playback “pop/click”
Dec 9, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #16 of 27
We were talking about streaming DSD, not playing SACDs. I think you would have to push a whole file across wifi and play it on the receiving end. I don't think you can stream DSD.

Dec 9, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #17 of 27
We were talking about streaming DSD, not playing SACDs. I think you would have to push a whole file across wifi and play it on the receiving end. I don't think you can stream DSD.
That is incorrect, in fact there’s a specific protocol designed solely for that purpose, called DST (Direct Stream Transfer). DST is a lossless compression scheme developed specifically for streaming DSD, which was incorporated into the MPEG-4 standard nearly 20 years ago. I think your confusion may come from this:
If the stream breaks even a little bit it would drop completely and you'd have to start over, wouldn't it?
No, DSD is no different to any other digital audio data in this regard. The data is/can be buffered, so you can have several seconds of “stream break” depending on the size of the buffer, just like any other digital audio format.
My understanding is that DSD isn't good with breaks.
Not sure where you got that from, DSD is fine with breaks/edits. Where DSD has a problem is with processing: EQ’ing, mixing, compression or anything else that would change the bit values. This can impact editing, as x-fades and fade ins/outs also change the bit values but for straight (zero-crossing) edits there’s no issue.

G

Dec 9, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #18 of 27
Can you suggest a reason why he’s getting clicks between tracks? Perhaps it’s fixable.

Dec 9, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #19 of 27
Can you suggest a reason why he’s getting clicks between tracks? Perhaps it’s fixable.
Unlike with PCM and as I mentioned, it’s not trivial to do fade ins/outs with DSD. There’s various possible reasons for a click between tracks but with PCM the player can just automatically have a couple or so millisecs of fade in with every track and so avoid them. It’s not impossible to avoid with a DSD player/DAC obviously, as many setups do but without narrowing down where and what’s causing the clicks I don’t know if it’s fixable (without changing the player or DAC) and have no better suggestions than those already posted.

G

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #20 of 27

I have been experimenting with the DSD data disks I have burned a few to play on my SACD player, DSF files burned to a DRD-R as a data disk. They all play fine and sound good, but they all have a click between every track which is annoying. My best guess is that my player (Denon 1700ne) is actually outputting them as PCM rather than DSD and the click is the switch from DSD to PCM for each track? Seems odd though for an SACD player to do this,and it could of course be an error on my part when I am burning them. Is there anybody playing DSD disks on their SACD player experienced similar? Not the end of the world if I cannot get it working, just curious as it is a neat feature.

Sure seems like the thread bumper is talking about SACD players (as well as neil74 saying his SACD is what's having clicking between tracks).

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #21 of 27
OK. The continuity of the posts must have escaped you.

Dec 9, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #22 of 27
sajesak said:
I have been experimenting with the DSD data disks I have burned a few to play on my SACD player, DSF files burned to a DRD-R as a data disk. They all play fine and sound good, but they all have a click between every track which is annoying. My best guess is that my player (Denon 1700ne) is actually outputting them as PCM rather than DSD and the click is the switch from DSD to PCM for each track? Seems odd though for an SACD player to do this,and it could of course be an error on my part when I am burning them. Is there anybody playing DSD disks on their SACD player experienced similar? Not the end of the world if I cannot get it working, just curious as it is a neat feature.
My best guess when I had this issue was the player switching formats between each track as the same files streamed from my NAS to my streamer have no click, I only experienced it when playing the data disk in my SACD player.

Your theory is interesting and if true would mean that it is not fixable.

Also I thought the clicking was a hardware noise like a relay click on an amp i.e. from the player not the disk. I might listen closer as I guess it could be a sound produced from the disk itself. If that makes sense?

OK. The continuity of the posts must have escaped you.
No, Both posts you were responding to clearly talk about clicking with SACD players. That must have escaped you when you were asking why there would be clicking in between tracks with streaming (when the subject was SACD players).

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #23 of 27
DSD can be streamed over wifi
and in the post immediately following it, I say...
If the stream breaks even a little bit it would drop completely and you'd have to start over, wouldn't it?
We were talking about streaming DSD over wifi. Gregorio answered my question. I guess there are streamers that cache DSD to maintain a steady uninterrupted stream. Nothing I have can do that. I can only stream the main audio formats. It's hard to even get an SACD player any more. I didn't know they made DSD streamers. I think if I simply tried to play a DSD file on another computer over Apple's AirPlay, I would have trouble.

I am repeatedly discouraged from interacting with you because you turn everything into an argument and you don't let go. You aren't the only one unfortunately. This could be a much better group if people made an effort to be friendlier.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #24 of 27
and in the post immediately following it, I say...

We were talking about streaming DSD over wifi.

I am repeatedly discouraged from interacting with you because you turn everything into an argument.
OK mr "continuity of the posts must have escaped you". Look at the posts again. The main subject was why is there clicking inbetween tracks on a SACD player. You were having a side discussion of whether streaming DSD is even possible with wifi: which of course it is as it's a data stream with bandwidth that is not taxing on modern wifi routers. At no point was there a person complaining of clicks with changing tracks over streaming. If you don't want to have discussion turn into argument, maybe don't be so confrontational yourself.

Dec 9, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #25 of 27
Again, I give up. All you do is argue.

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #26 of 27
Dec 11, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #27 of 27
I give up on you, not participating. You turn everything into an argument. You may enjoy that, but that isn’t why I’m here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back