CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
May 9, 2024 at 7:05 AM Post #2,431 of 2,437
May 9, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #2,432 of 2,437
May 9, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #2,433 of 2,437
I just want to update regarding Oladra vs MPSX as a player. I am always using the Oladra server section regardless of configurations below.

When using Oladras player with squeeze, resolution is a small step higher than when using MPSX as player while retaining natural timbre, but with that said when using Oladra players squeeze direct into the DAC, then the MPSX player fairs better overall in my opinion.

^When using MPD8 DAC

With that said I end up with Oladra going into MPSX via AES (aka not using the player section of the MPSX) and having the MPSX connect to DAC via PLINK and this gave me the final conclusion of...

The MPSX is an amazing device regardless of using its player section or not, but with that said to be efficient with resources if I had to do it again I would either just go Oladra and skip the MPSX if it was not a Playback Designs DAC.

If it was the Playback Designs DAC I would still use MPSX as player and get an Antipodes stand alone server instead of a server/streamer in single box.

Just wanted to share. Good luck.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #2,434 of 2,437
When using Oladras player with squeeze, resolution is a small step higher than when using MPSX as player while retaining natural timbre, but with that said when using Oladra players squeeze direct into the DAC, then the MPSX player fairs better overall in my opinion.

^When using MPD8 DAC

You mean when using Oladra as server into MPSX (player) vs Olarda as server / player, both into DAC?

With that said I end up with Oladra going into MPSX via AES (aka not using the player section of the MPSX) and having the MPSX connect to DAC via PLINK and this gave me the final conclusion of...

Oladra as server into MPSX and MPSX as player? (Other wise not sure what MPSX is doing in this case)

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #2,435 of 2,437
"You mean when using Oladra as server into MPSX (player) vs Olarda as server / player, both into DAC?"

Sorry for wording, summary of rankings in my opinion (key word my opinion) they are all fantastic regardless.

The below tiers are assuming if one has a dac that takes PLINK, my experience is only based on the MPD8. I am in no way shape or form implying or saying that DACs not having PLINK are inferior. I just so happen to have a DAC that takes it so I wanted to experiment and share findings when mixing the MPSX in and out.

1.Oladra Server/Oladra player into mpsx (not using mpsx player section) into DAC that takes PLINK

2. Oladra Server + MPSX Player into DAC that takes PLINK

3. Oladra Server/Oladra Player into DAC taking or not taking PLINK

"Oladra as server into MPSX and MPSX as player? (Other wise not sure what MPSX is doing in this case)"

Even when not using the player section of the MPSX, it still is being used to remove jitter, something the MPD8 already does, but adds an extra layer of that prior to MPD8.

I tried using Oladra server/player via AES into the MPD8 and it sounds great but I prefer it going through the MPSX even when not using its player section.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #2,436 of 2,437
"You mean when using Oladra as server into MPSX (player) vs Olarda as server / player, both into DAC?"

Sorry for wording, summary of rankings in my opinion (key word my opinion) they are all fantastic regardless.

The below tiers are assuming if one has a dac that takes PLINK, my experience is only based on the MPD8. I am in no way shape or form implying or saying that DACs not having PLINK are inferior. I just so happen to have a DAC that takes it so I wanted to experiment and share findings when mixing the MPSX in and out.

1.Oladra Server/Oladra player into mpsx (not using mpsx player section) into DAC that takes PLINK

2. Oladra Server + MPSX Player into DAC that takes PLINK

3. Oladra Server/Oladra Player into DAC taking or not taking PLINK

"Oladra as server into MPSX and MPSX as player? (Other wise not sure what MPSX is doing in this case)"

Even when not using the player section of the MPSX, it still is being used to remove jitter, something the MPD8 already does, but adds an extra layer of that prior to MPD8.

I tried using Oladra server/player via AES into the MPD8 and it sounds great but I prefer it going through the MPSX even when not using its player section.
Ah, gotcha. Gather PLINK is PBD proprietary kind of like I2S?

May 9, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #2,437 of 2,437
Ah, gotcha. Gather PLINK is PBD proprietary kind of like I2S?

I believe so. I was introduced to PLINK via playback designs.

Andreas replied to an email of mine when I had some questions and he did mention that when going through MPSX via server it is best to use USB between server and MPSX so that the MPD8 DAC's internal master clock is used rather than the servers. I am currently using AES from Oladra to MPSX and with that connection, I am using the master clock from the Oladra.

He personally feels that using the master clock inside the MPD8 is most ideal, should be fun to experiment. Interestingly enough for some reason this was never mentioned to my knowledge in either the MPD8 manual or the MPSX manual so I figured I would share.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back