Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
May 15, 2024 at 6:37 AM Post #10,651 of 10,661
I am not sure I want a box which behaves differently on USB and optical.
Or perhaps the problem is coming from the source, could be a resampling or something like this...

The box behaves the same fed the same quality input. Any preferences beyond that you likely will not hear. All DACs with different style inputs (optical, coax, USB) have the potential for subtle differences in sound. The question is if you can hear them or even care to try.

The Mojo2 sounds phenomenal for what it is. Don't let the debate on the subtleties between inputs cloud that fact. You likely will not experience any audible differences between inputs as long as you are feeding it with a good source and good cables.

May 15, 2024 at 6:42 AM Post #10,652 of 10,661
Random question to the thread - does running the Mojo 2 in intelligent desktop mode provide more power to full-size cans?

No evidence of this. Power is the same in desktop mode or battery. There is no need to disconnect battery of Mojo2 like Mojo1 given the upgraded desktop mode of the Mojo2. IIRC batteries provide more power on demand and quicker compared to AC sources.

May 15, 2024 at 6:47 AM Post #10,653 of 10,661
How come is it worse? Doesn't optical just sends the signal, and the conversion actually happens in the DAC/AMP (in this case Mojo 2)?
One thing I am unsure about is how the onboard soundcard handles the optical out. If its a pure line out, or it adds something to it? Also I figure you are then using your onboard soundcard drivers to handle apps, such as Tidal etc. loosing benefits of Chord's exclusive modes and ASIO drivers, as well as probably higher res sampling rate\possibly also worse latency?

I am very unsure how you guys hear any differences with USB and optical. Maybe it has to do that I am using a PC with a very clean motherboard, which has optimized electrical pathing, thus removing a lot of noises and essentially providing a very clean signal.

May 15, 2024 at 7:06 AM Post #10,654 of 10,661
I read somewhere the mojo2 sound signature is comparable to chord tt2+ mscaler, could someone confirm that?

I read few comments back it sounds tt2’ish, but that is still not really clear or specific enough.

I try to figure out what to expect when I order one. I will only use it for IEM, for full size I will use my tt2+MS

I own the se180 + sem 4, which is very detailles and good! But when I plug my fir audio m4 in the tt2+MM the sound is like heaven.

And I try to figure out if I will get some of that clear and smooth magic with the Mojo2, with IEM’s. So could someone help me with a good comparison :)

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #10,656 of 10,661
What would classify what it is?
Budget? Midfi? Small? Simple? Compromise? Eg.

A sub $1k HiFi small portable DAC/amp. I'm sure it punches up farther than this, but my only >$1K DACs are the Hugo2 and Yggdrasil OG. Not enough data points for my taste. Most of my DACs, DAPs and DAC/amps are <$1k.

IMHO, to get significantly better in the Chord lineup, you need to go TT2 territory. That's many multiples more expensive than the Mojo2.

The only DACs I use, out of the ones I currently own, are Yggdrasil OG and the Mojo2. The rest sit in a drawer or the onboard DAC is bypassed. I'm 99% headphone/iem usage. Although I've heard the Mojo2 many times off of high end (>$30k) 2 channel systems and was highly impressed.

Bottom line is that the Mojo2 is just plain phenomenal.

May 15, 2024 at 8:48 AM Post #10,657 of 10,661
What would classify what it is?
Budget? Midfi? Small? Simple? Compromise? Eg.
These categories are all relative to the individual listener. Instead, I'd echo what @Daniel Johnston says above. It's as good as (or better than) any other DAC I've tried under $1k, and I would probably have to spend closer to $1.5k to get something that sounds like an audible improvement (which I have no interest in doing). And on top of being an excellent desktop DAC in the under $1k price range, it can also be used as a portable DAC/amp. Very few (if any) other DACs can claim as much.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #10,658 of 10,661
Just received it and couldn't get qobuz on the pc to recognise using usb-c so I switched to the supplied micro and it connected. First thing I noticed using the same headphones but coming from using the Fiio K7 is alot more punch low end. Both units are pretty much brand new so no burn in really to have taken effect. It kinda made me pause for a sec cause it hit so much harder. The sound stage is a bit narrower, which I'm ok with. Mojo demands you to listen, the Fiio K7 still sounds great but it doesn't stiffen your muscles up. The mojo can be enjoyed at much lower volumes as I had to turn the K7 up quite a bit to get the music to come alive

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #10,659 of 10,661
Time will tell if the K7 is needed anymore but certainly got a portable unit that hammers for desktop listening

May 15, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #10,660 of 10,661
I'm giving it a other go. I have a question about sampling rates. Iirc the optical in on the mojo 2 is limited to 96k, in just trying to understand if there is a conversion before the optical out and than another one at the mojo2. I have an optical out on my rme babyface pro that I use. Can you explain a little if you can about what exactly you find better? Thanks.
I have no problem getting 192k using this cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7KR492/

Try different cables, but you should be able to get better than 96k reliably with the right cable.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #10,661 of 10,661
I found the DCA Aeon Flow Closed worked well with Mojo and Hugo 2.

The DCA Aeon Noire is a great pairing with Mojo/Mojo2. If the E3 is in your budget, it’s an amazing upgrade. If you need portability, Mojo2/E3 is an end-game level system. Add Poly if you can take it (I.e., if it works for your use cases, like mostly Roon on your local WiFi).

Like my LCD-X (2021) with the Mojo 2, I find it has more dynamic slam than HE1000 SE, it sounds better for low dynamic range music (for example many old rock and heavy metal recordings), SE resolves more though and trumps the LCD-X in most parameters if the recording is good.

Thanks friends for the suggestion. I will look into these at my local store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back