Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
May 13, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #18,826 of 18,835
Hi all,

I've got a Mojo 2 and have fallen in love with it.My current DAP is Sony's ZX300, the interface of which I like a lot.

Is the Poly a recommendable purchase for the Mojo 2? Won't I miss a GUI?
Poly adds streaming and if you use a good app like Mconnect or Rigelian (depending if you have an android or iPhone) it has a good and very usable interface for playing from a micro-SD card. Having said that I still use my Sony NWZX300 sometimes - it's small and lightweight and while not quite on the level of the Mojo 2, it sounds pretty good when travelling, although of course it does not have streaming. To answer your question, personally, yes, I think the Poly is a recommendable purchase for Mojo 2.

May 13, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #18,828 of 18,835
Hi all,

I've got a Mojo 2 and have fallen in love with it.My current DAP is Sony's ZX300, the interface of which I like a lot.

Is the Poly a recommendable purchase for the Mojo 2? Won't I miss a GUI?
I have a Poly with a Mojo OG, but not a Mojo 2.
Nevertheless i think that the sound quality benefits of the Poly would also apply to the Mojo 2.

Won't you miss a GUI?
In engineering design terms, a lot depends on how comfortable you are with the design rationale.

When the idea of the Poly was first floated by Chord, it was very vague.
There was talk of a range of modules that could plug into the Mojo, one to ease cable connections, one to aid streaming, etc.
In practice this ended up with just the two modules, the cable module and Poly (which included all the other design scenarios).

Chord applied 'functional design' thinking to the Poly requirements (along the lines of):

Level 1 - Poly must enable a means to control the Poly. That leaves open multiple scenarios, including buttons, a Poly screen, external apps, etc
Level 2 - Poly shall be controlled via an app and screen (this excludes buttons, but leaves open where the screen should be located)
Level 3 - Chord opted for allowing apps on phones or tablets to control the music played on Poly. The rationale was that Chord lacked in-house to develop a world beating music player, that could provide more than the existing music player apps, plus many owners already owned phones and tablets that had far better displays (that tended to be upgraded every year), than could be incorporated into a Poly.

The rest is history.
@Partlys4int only you can decide if you prefer to use a large music player display on a phone/tablet, or prefer a small display on a device the size of Poly.

May 14, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #18,829 of 18,835
What are the chances though, given Poly's age, that Chord will just release a Poly 2 or worse, discontinue it altogether.

Has the Poly got the internals enabling Chord to just further update it with useful features or new codecs?

I'd hate to spend 500 euros only to see them quit the production after a year or so.

May 14, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #18,830 of 18,835
What are the chances though, given Poly's age, that Chord will just release a Poly 2 or worse, discontinue it altogether.

Has the Poly got the internals enabling Chord to just further update it with useful features or new codecs?

I'd hate to spend 500 euros only to see them quit the production after a year or so.
First look at the Chord product line matrix.
Most of the product lines have a space for a streamer, upscaler, dac, amplifier.
The mobile product line (Mojo 2) will still need a streamer, and the Poly still ticks most of the boxes. In my opinion the Tabletop and Choral lines are more likely to see a one-box alternative to the 2Go/2Yu first.

Is the Poly perfect? Not quite:
  • Firmware updates - the Poly was designed to receive regular firmware updates. Unfortunately there are still some updates such as the long promised capability like Chromecast and Spotify Connect, but those could still be possible using the existing hardware.
  • Memory - Poly can handle a 2Tb SD card, but those are still impossible to buy at a cheap price yet. The only possible benefit of a Poly 2 could be two SD card slots, like with the 2Go.
  • Internal hardware - Most owners seem perfectly happy with the existing hardware, apart from some wishing for a longer battery life, plus a larger circuit board that could accommodate APT-X. Presumably a Poly 2 would still have to mate with Mojo/Mojo 2, so the only way to fit a larger battery and circuit board would be for Poly 2 to have a longer case.
Overall, there are some reasons to release a Poly 2, but I don't think they would be stong enough to persuade Chord to repeat the hassle of coding and launching a new streamer.

May 14, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #18,831 of 18,835
First look at the Chord product line matrix.
Most of the product lines have a space for a streamer, upscaler, dac, amplifier.
The mobile product line (Mojo 2) will still need a streamer, and the Poly still ticks most of the boxes. In my opinion the Tabletop and Choral lines are more likely to see a one-box alternative to the 2Go/2Yu first.

Is the Poly perfect? Not quite:
  • Firmware updates - the Poly was designed to receive regular firmware updates. Unfortunately there are still some updates such as the long promised capability like Chromecast and Spotify Connect, but those could still be possible using the existing hardware.
  • Memory - Poly can handle a 2Tb SD card, but those are still impossible to buy at a cheap price yet. The only possible benefit of a Poly 2 could be two SD card slots, like with the 2Go.
  • Internal hardware - Most owners seem perfectly happy with the existing hardware, apart from some wishing for a longer battery life, plus a larger circuit board that could accommodate APT-X. Presumably a Poly 2 would still have to mate with Mojo/Mojo 2, so the only way to fit a larger battery and circuit board would be for Poly 2 to have a longer case.
Overall, there are some reasons to release a Poly 2, but I don't think they would be stong enough to persuade Chord to repeat the hassle of coding and launching a new streamer.

Must admit, I too am wondering how long away a replacement will be. Two elements are lacking to me for a brand new device, 5ghz WiFi and an improved interface (from what I've read/observed).

May 14, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #18,833 of 18,835
Must admit, I too am wondering how long away a replacement will be. Two elements are lacking to me for a brand new device, 5ghz WiFi and an improved interface (from what I've read/observed).
Both Poly and the 2Go share the same 'Poly platform' in firmware terms.
If Chord were interested in 5Ghz capability they surely would have already incorporated it into the 2Go.

@Mojo ideas used to post the rationale why Chord did not include 5Ghz, and a big part of that was that many of their target customers lived in apartments constructed using reinforced concrete, which acts like a faraday cage and blocks 5Ghz signals. That physical constraint has not changed, so I suspect that neither has Chords lack of enthusiasm for 5Ghz.

Not sure what you mean by improved interface. The Poly was designed to be controlled by music player apps on phones and tablets, and configured using GoFigure on phones and tablets. If you want an improved interface, then you need new music player and GoFigure apps, and those would not need a physical redesign of Poly.

May 14, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #18,835 of 18,835
Both Poly and the 2Go share the same 'Poly platform' in firmware terms.
If Chord were interested in 5Ghz capability they surely would have already incorporated it into the 2Go.

@Mojo ideas used to post the rationale why Chord did not include 5Ghz, and a big part of that was that many of their target customers lived in apartments constructed using reinforced concrete, which acts like a faraday cage and blocks 5Ghz signals. That physical constraint has not changed, so I suspect that neither has Chords lack of enthusiasm for 5Ghz.

Not sure what you mean by improved interface. The Poly was designed to be controlled by music player apps on phones and tablets, and configured using GoFigure on phones and tablets. If you want an improved interface, then you need new music player and GoFigure apps, and those would not need a physical redesign of Poly.

I'm not saying the Poly doesn't work well or is fabulous for the purpose designed. Just my needs as assessed against the cost of buying new. Just my view. Others are happy I am happy. Would still very much consider a second hand one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back