Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
May 14, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #736 of 742
I've been following your comments on this thread for a while now. I'm happy you are enjoying your N3 Ultra but it also seems you get super defensive whenever someone criticizes this DAP.

While sound too is one of my top priorities but so is a bug-free stable OS and a good battery life. According to @ToneDeafMonk Shanling M5 Ultra provides a more stable OS, better battery life and similar SQ with better output power. So when we express our concerns here hopefully it will encourage Cayin to provide a better experience for all users in the future, not just one particular user. Cheers.
I'm always curious why people comment on threads for things they aren't going to buy. From you description of your needs I suggest you get a sony player they last for much longer playing times and they have very active threads.
Or if you want a budget player the hiby R511 has 30 hours playback.
Different dacs and amps have different effects on battery life.
I'm in the fortunate position to own many Daps Inc totl ones many have poorer battery life than the N3Ultra.
I'm not being defensive just saying if you don't like the features don't buy it and find something more appropriate for you.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #737 of 742
I'm always curious why people comment on threads for things they aren't going to buy. From you description of your needs I suggest you get a sony player they last for much longer playing times and they have very active threads.
Or if you want a budget player the hiby R511 has 30 hours playback.
Different dacs and amps have different effects on battery life.
I'm in the fortunate position to own many Daps Inc totl ones many have poorer battery life than the N3Ultra.
I'm not being defensive just saying ifvyoy don't like the features don't buy it and find something more appropriate for you.
Who says I'm not going to buy it? I really fancy this DAP and wanted to buy it immidetaly as soon as it came out. Unfortunately I can't afford to own many daps like you, so the one I do own needs to have an overall good experience, and match my standards of a bug free os and good battery life.

While I do understand that Cayin can't do much about battery life at this stage, the fact that this DAP still doesn't have a search feature is frankly ridiculous, I would be more inclined to buy it if Cayin polishes the OS more.

Even if I decide not to buy this DAP there is no law saying I can't criticize it's short comings, at least from my point of view. I definitely think there are some things Cayin could be doing better with this DAP. Cheers.

May 15, 2024 at 12:25 AM Post #738 of 742
Unfortunately, the JAN6418 is not user replaceable, you need to send the DAP back to your dealer or to us (China) to replace the vacuum tubes.

For the record, we do run into JAN6418 occasionally, but most of them happened on the first month of ownership, a small number of them in the first three months, so they were all covered by warranty, technically. We attributed these to logistic and/or manufacturing failures. In our repair track record, the JAN6418 in N3Pro is as reliable and long-lasting as a lot of solid-state components we have used in our DAP.

In case these "claims" remain uncertified claims from a manufacturer, may I suggest you drop by the N3Pro thread and ask if there is a high percentage of JAN6418 failure among our N3Pro DAP users? For the record, the N3Pro was launched back in early August 2020, we have sold more than two thousand units of N3Pro in the first month, and a lot more by the end of 2020, so you'll run into a lot of users who owned N3Pro for 3-4 years already in the N3Pro official thread. If the "JAN6418 tubes have an estimated life span best case scenario of 1 to 3 year", we should have thousands of N3Pro users having trouble with their JAN6418 in N3Pro, and Cayin should be very busy repairing the N3Pro by now. Maybe this will provide counter-arguments regarding your "claim" from literature research that the JAN6418 is a high-risk component?
I appreciate the response and your openess to the question. I understand the chances of an issue are probably quite small but I have had nightmare experiences shipping DAP's to China for service. More than once having to eat the cost of the DAP when it was returned unfixed or got lost in transit. If the N3 Ultra were sold in Canada and I could get it serviced here I would feel more comfortable buying one.

May 15, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #739 of 742
Unfortunately, the JAN6418 is not user replaceable, you need to send the DAP back to your dealer or to us (China) to replace the vacuum tubes.

For the record, we do run into JAN6418 occasionally, but most of them happened on the first month of ownership, a small number of them in the first three months, so they were all covered by warranty, technically. We attributed these to logistic and/or manufacturing failures. In our repair track record, the JAN6418 in N3Pro is as reliable and long-lasting as a lot of solid-state components we have used in our DAP.

In case these "claims" remain uncertified claims from a manufacturer, may I suggest you drop by the N3Pro thread and ask if there is a high percentage of JAN6418 failure among our N3Pro DAP users? For the record, the N3Pro was launched back in early August 2020, we have sold more than two thousand units of N3Pro in the first month, and a lot more by the end of 2020, so you'll run into a lot of users who owned N3Pro for 3-4 years already in the N3Pro official thread. If the "JAN6418 tubes have an estimated life span best case scenario of 1 to 3 year", we should have thousands of N3Pro users having trouble with their JAN6418 in N3Pro, and Cayin should be very busy repairing the N3Pro by now. Maybe this will provide counter-arguments regarding your "claim" from literature research that the JAN6418 is a high-risk component?
If one day equal 24hr, we are looking at 8760hr for 1 year of life span.
So we are looking at 8760hrs of listening time...
If we use it for 3hrs daily = will be 2920 days of usage = 8yrs of usage.

May 15, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #742 of 742
For those who don't know, files can also be transferred via USB/OTG pendrive directly to the N3U in addition to reading them. 👍🏻

You can even see photos! 🧐
I actually use this method since I caved in and bought the leather case which covers the card slot. Speed is decent, but I wouldn't transfer large amounts of data.

BTW, the N3U drives the empyrean 2 wonderfully, as expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back