Burson V6 Vivid and V6 Classic Discrete Audio Opamps Discussion and Reviews
May 5, 2024 at 7:40 AM Post #541 of 554
Violectric V380² with four V6 Vivid singles and two V7 Vivid duals.
By looking inside Violectric V380² I see that the transformer has 2x18 VAC outputs, so I assume that 2x18 VDC are powering the op-amps and the output stage too. Take care on overheating and maybe damaging those V6 and V7, given that V6 can't support voltages above 33V (+/-16.5V). Same about the V7 that can't take more than 32V (+/-16V).

A while ago I did myself op-amp rolling from LME49860 to Burson V5 in a Matrix HPA-3B that was using 36V (+/-18V) power rail for the op-amps and output stage, but I was swapping the voltage regulators too, to lower the voltage to 30V (+/-15V), to not damage the op-amps in time, so I would suggest you to do the same. I still have the HPA-3B in my living room and I'm using it from time to time.

There are 3-pin very low-noise regulators coming from several manufacturers nowadays, so all is needed is a bit of soldering and, of course, losing warranty on the Violectric device. In the end your power rails will become +/-15V instead of existing +/-18V and will be able to support pretty much all audio op-amps out there. Of course, the maximum output power will be diminished a little bit, not much, probably 15-20%, but still there will be enough juice left, even for Susvara.

May 5, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #543 of 554
Thanks for sharing, looks a very good hybrid opamp, though much higher in height than the hybrid Burson V5i, so it may not fit well in some designs. However, some head-fiers might still prefer discrete op-amps instead of hybrid ones, hence V6 and V7 remain a very good choice for audio devices, just need to take care of voltage rails.

May 5, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #547 of 554
Would Burson® Audio manufactured a V6i and/or a V7i, as my ASUS® XONARESSENCESTX/A's analog-protective shield is fairly low. I'd have to punch the shield to permit either the V7 Classic and/or V7 Vivid on a XONARESSENCEST/A with a XONARH6/A daughtercard — my now-down Hot Rod gPC has two PCI 2.2 slots on the outboard, adjacent to a PCIe x16 slot and a PCIe x1 slot. (The GIGABYTE® GA-MA78GM-S2HP no longer recognizes i8042 keyboards; hopefully a NOS GA-MA785GMT-UD2H is available.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back