Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro X Anniversary model
May 7, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #121 of 130
I got mine yesterday, the build quality and comfort is excellent, but the treble pikes out of box was horrible, worse than my 1990 Pro imo, so the first thing I did was reduce them with EQ, after that they sounded ok.
The bass, however, was superb, these are the first headphones I've owned that don't need a base-shelf out of the box.
I will use mine for youtube and movies and I think they are suitable for that purpose, gaming as well I think, but for serious music listening I will use other headphones.

May 7, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #122 of 130
I got mine yesterday, the build quality and comfort is excellent, but the treble pikes out of box was horrible, worse than my 1990 Pro imo, so the first thing I did was reduce them with EQ, after that they sounded ok.
The bass, however, was superb, these are the first headphones I've owned that don't need a base-shelf out of the box.
I will use mine for youtube and movies and I think they are suitable for that purpose, gaming as well I think, but for serious music listening I will use other headphones.
The bass is indeed really nice on the DT 770 Pro X. It's definitely spicy in the treble, but how it presents and handle treble doesn't bother me personally so I leave it as is. It's one of the first trebly headphones I can handle without issue. The DT 1990 was sharper to my ears than the DT 770 Pro X, though it was the DT 990 that could feel like daggers in my ears. Another Beyer that doesn't need a bass shelf added is the T1.3. I like using both for when I want some extra color to my music, though the T1.3 is my favorite headphone overall.

For more neutral listening, I listen to my R70x, DT 900 Pro X, and HD 650.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #123 of 130
The bass is indeed really nice on the DT 770 Pro X. It's definitely spicy in the treble, but how it presents and handle treble doesn't bother me personally so I leave it as is. It's one of the first trebly headphones I can handle without issue. The DT 1990 was sharper to my ears than the DT 770 Pro X, though it was the DT 990 that could feel like daggers in my ears. Another Beyer that doesn't need a bass shelf added is the T1.3. I like using both for when I want some extra color to my music, though the T1.3 is my favorite headphone overall.

For more neutral listening, I listen to my R70x, DT 900 Pro X, and HD 650.

Interesting thing with DT 990 at least the 250 Ohm version is, sound signature changes a lot with the output impedance of head amplifiers. Traditionally great amps with near zero impedance sounds the most piercing.

When I use my pair on a cheap Steinberg UR22C audio interface with a not so good 60+ Ohms of impedance the treble/ear piercing is almost tamed. Still bright, but it doesn't hurt anymore. I believe they would love a full tube amp. I only have guitar amps with tubes, so I will have to wait to find out.

Least piercing can I have is the Neumann NDH-30, is maybe it's greatest strength, zero fatique.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #124 of 130
Interesting thing with DT 990 at least the 250 Ohm version is, sound signature changes a lot with the output impedance of head amplifiers. Traditionally great amps with near zero impedance sounds the most piercing.

When I use my pair on a cheap Steinberg UR22C audio interface with a not so good 60+ Ohms of impedance the treble/ear piercing is almost tamed. Still bright, but it doesn't hurt anymore. I believe they would love a full tube amp. I only have guitar amps with tubes, so I will have to wait to find out.

Least piercing can I have is the Neumann NDH-30, is maybe it's greatest strength, zero fatique.
With the right system and with good pad wear, the DT 990 treble is fine, but on the wrong system the DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm was not pleasant, why I said it could be like daggers. Some low output impedance amps worked fine on the DT 990, I found it heavily came down to treble quality of the amp and dac. Though high output impedance definitely helps as well.

As for my least fatiguing headphone, it's tough to say but probably the ATH-R70x as it has the added bonus of being super-light and my most comfortable headphone; but I also don't have fatigue with the T1.3, DT 900 Pro X, and HD 650. The DT 770 Pro X is still too new for me to decide fully, but fatigue is quite low on it so far. Also need to give the DT 900 Pro X a bit more time to see exactly where it sits for me.

My most fatiguing headphones are probably the HD 660S2 and to a lesser extent the HD 660S. I do hope I can fix the HD 660S2 fatigue as I really like how that headphone sounds.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #125 of 130
Burn in also helps with the treble. "Tech Boss" shows the effect of Burn in his video for the DT770 Pro X with sound samples. In the video you will find sound samples before and after burn-in. The difference between before burn-in and after is most evident in the treble. I'd probably give the headphones some time or just use the EQ. Maybe someone here can confirm this effect.

Edit: Skip to 14:25 in the video, there is an audible difference between before and after the burn in.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #126 of 130
Burn in also helps with the treble. "Tech Boss" shows the effect of Burn in his video for the DT770 Pro X with sound samples. In the video you will find sound samples before and after burn-in. The difference between before burn-in and after is most evident in the treble. I'd probably give the headphones some time or just use the EQ. Maybe someone here can confirm this effect.

According to Beyerdynamic their headphones don’t need run-in time.
What’s more likely is that you get used to the sound. And over time pads degrade, changing sound a bit in the process.

May 7, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #127 of 130
Adding the new pads to DT 770 Pro X is a nice mod, but with the same money you could get the DT 700 Pro X, which sounds more balanced. For identical results you would need the drivers from DT 700 Pro X as well, which is impossible and not worth it.

However, as you already have DT 900 Pro X in hand, you could try those pads with DT 770 Pro X. They can be installed the same way to both headphones. Just pull them off and press down to attach. There is a small notch in the attachment ring where you should place the similar counterpart found behind the pad. The sound will change a lot compared to the stock pads, but might not be perfect yet.

DT 700 Pro X vs. DT 770 Pro X (with DT 700 Pro X Pads but stock foam):
1000013481.png
You can see DT 700 Pro X still being more neutral and balanced, as DT 770 Pro X is missing a lot of upper mids.
Wow. Thank you so much for the detailed response and measurements. So I did try the 900 pads on the 770. I did not like it at all. Sounded harsh and robbed them of most of their low end. Also the lip that holds the ear pad onto the 770 is a sharp edge when using the other pads. As much as I love the comfort of the 900, I think the 700 pro x will be a little too isolated for my liking. At least the 770 pro x isolation isn't super muffled so I can still have a conversation with them on and the volume low. I do love their signature as well but like the more forward mids an openness of the 900 pro x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back