Bel Canto USB to SPDIF Converter
Apr 21, 2009 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mourip

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi Todd,

I am interested in the new Bel Canto USB to SPDIF converter. I was wondering if you had any kind of loaner/try-out for that?

Thanks!

Paul

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumanosuke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am looking for a USB to SPDIF converter too but do not know which one to get.

can you guys tell me what is so great about Bel Canto USB to SPDIF converter ?

Amb's y1 DAC can be configured as a USB to SPDIF if you are interested in a do-it-yourself approach. I built one and it was a lot of fun.

Apr 23, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 10
HI All,

I am working to see if a loaner program can be done...

Here is the info on the Bel Canto 24/96 USB Link...

Bel Canto Design, Ltd., manufacturers of analog and digital source components and amplifiers debuts the USB Link 24/96, the must-have component for computer hard disc music systems.

We all know what audiophiles want: Take what’s there and make it better. At the last Rocky Mountain Audio Fest a number of rooms played high resolution music from hard disc, like Bel Canto and Joseph Audio. The sound system in both rooms – totally amazing of course – featured the new Bel Canto USB Link 24/96.

This timely device converts a computer-derived USB input of up to 24 bits and 96kHz to SPDIF and outputs the signal on a 75 ohm BNC. The USB Link 24/96 includes a Stereovox XV2 BNC/BNC cable with RCA adaptor to feed your audiophile DAC of choice – most likely a Bel Canto DAC3! Significantly improves the sound of your 16-bit 44.1 kHz music files as well!

Convenient Audiophile Features
- Converts USB computer-sourced files to SPDIF output
- Compatible with native drivers on Mac and Windows
- Accepts high-resolution audio files with data rates up to 24 bits and 96KHz
- Quality Stereovox XV2 BNC/BNC with RCA adaptor connects to any quality DAC
- USB Link 24/96 disables system volume control
- Low-jitter clock recovery features reference crystal oscillator
- Self-powered via USB input benefiting from LC filters and low-noise local regulation
- Galvanic isolation between computer and audio system prevents high-frequency noise from polluting signal

MSRP: $495
Includes Stereovox XV2 BNC/BNC SPDIF cable with RCA Adaptor

A Snap to Set Up
Simply connect a type-B USB cable from computer to the USB input on the Link; a red LED indicates power. Your MAC or PC automatically recognizes the unit as Bel Canto 2496 USB in the Sounds and Audio Devices control panel. Connect the supplied Stereovox XV2 cable between the USB Link into either a RCA or BNC SPDIF DAC input with the handy adaptor provided and you’re ready to rip! Pardon our enthusiasm; you’re ready to play high quality music from your computer!

Todd

Apr 23, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd
The USB Link 24/96 includes a Stereovox XV2 BNC/BNC cable with RCA adaptor to feed your audiophile DAC of choice – most likely a Bel Canto DAC3!

Bel Canto Dac3 already has a USB input. Is this converter supposed to be significantly better quality than the internal one on the dac3?

Apr 24, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasQuaid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bel Canto Dac3 already has a USB input. Is this converter supposed to be significantly better quality than the internal one on the dac3?

Yup, something like that. Most reviews say that stock USB implementation in the DAC3 sounds pretty poor compared to S/PDIF, and I've read that Bel Canto themselves have stated that this is supposed to serve as a sort of upgrade for that.

Oh, and Doug, get your ass to Mars!
icon10.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #8 of 10
would be nice to see some real world comparisons to other such devices. there really aren't much else in the department that i know of besides hagtech hagusb which costs considerably less.

also, how many dac's even utilize bnc input? isn't the use of an adapter contradictory to having a better spdif device?

Jun 2, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #10 of 10
Would this be a considerable upgrade to the S/PDIF output of my Asus Xonar D2X?

Regarding BNC: in fact this is S/PDIF specification standard with its 75 Ohms. By using a cable that has 75 Ohms and appropriate connectors (BNC 75 Ohm) you can minimize jitter and reflections. RCA connectors (which have way less than 75 Ohms) produce a lot of crap on such cables on the other hand.

The next step I'll take when I have some spare time, is to mod my Havana and D2X to BNC (or take the Bel Canto instead of the latter).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back