Axpona 2018 Impressions
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #16 of 23
I really enjoyed Axpona this year. The one mistake they made was putting the marketplace and the ear gear area in the same room. That was a pretty big oops. But overall, I liked the layout of the hotel and while there was a lot of variation in room sizes, it was pretty well done for the first year in a new space.

Had a great time meeting those of you who stopped by the ZMF booth as well. Thanks for spending some of your time with us.

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #17 of 23
"The one mistake they made was putting the marketplace and the ear gear area in the same room. That was a pretty big oops."

It was a big oops in terms of ambient noise, for sure. but wouldn't you say it was much better-attended because you got walk-up traffic from 2-channel folks who were browsing the expo hall??
Just from my memory, the Axpona 4 years ago that i attended (the first ear gear expo year?), it wasn't nearly this well-attended.....

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #18 of 23
Axpona's ear gear has grown solidly each year, the last two years at the old venue in the small room were actually quite busy for us, so we had had no complaints. The noise was high but not like this venue...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 20, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #20 of 23
The HE1 was the best sounding headphone I heard there, easily. I received a bit of self-validation in my decision with the Zana Deux S + Yggy combo, the HE1 was the only thing that sounded better, I was not impressed with the Cavalli and Woo audio setups, not sure how they charge so much. Sounded thin and recessed comparatively..

Did you hear the Abyss with the Woo WA33 combo?

Did you think it really sounded thin & recessed compared to your HD80/ZDS/Yggy stack?

Apr 20, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #21 of 23

Did you think it really sounded thin & recessed compared to your HD80/ZDS/Yggy stack?

I cannot speak for him but I loved the abyss & wa 33 combo it probably was a little bit thinner and much more aggressive than what you would get with an HD 800 and ZDSZ combo, what are the perfect blend of both Shear force and aggression along with a fairly natural Timber that the issue 800 doesn't really compare to

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #22 of 23

The Abyss they had was faulty, something wrong with the left channel driver, and it was replaced with an HD800. I listened to it briefly while it was still out, and aside from the ridiculously uncomfortable fit, it was also not "better" sounding, just different than ZDS/Yggy. It was weirdly smooth sounding, compressed or something, not as in-your-face and punchy, doesn't image as well, would never buy the cans or the amp.

Apr 29, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #23 of 23
Axpona was a blast but the show was actually too big to see everything in just two and a half days. It really needed to be at least five days to see everything let alone get a good impression of everything. The show seemed much larger than last years show. There seemed to a lot more exhibitors this year. I had talked with one of the local high end stores that I frequent and asked him before the show what he thought of the new venue. He said the rooms in the new venue were not as good sounding as last years old sight. In attending I have to agree. There were a lot of rooms with issues this year. Some of it being the rooms and not the equipment. I did hear some good sounding rooms though. I discovered some from displayers that I had never heard of that sounded pretty good. I could only attend the show for two days. So I did not get a chance to explore the sixteenth floor. But I did pretty much cover all the other floors. But as I had mentioned there was just too much to see and too little time to explore things thoroughly. I heard from the same dealer that next year they are adding yet another floor of exhibitors. So next year I should probably plan an attack of the show to see everything that I would like to see and get a better idea of how things sound. I really did not spend an appreciable amount of time in any of the rooms except possibly two, four, six rooms for longer than a couple two or three minutes. The headphone room on fifteen was amazing some of the rigs were just awesome. But again there was just no time to check things out for more than a couple of songs. I did get to hear the sennheiser big boy tube amp and the blue Hawaii rig. I had read a show blog from computer audio and had read that he thought the sennheiser big boy amp easily bested the blue Hawaii. I do not know what music he was listening to but I strongly disagreed I thought the blue hawai was definitely the better the of the two rigs on the music that I was listening to. I thought the blue Hawaii was a very strong contender for the best headphone sound I heard at axpona.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back