Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
May 14, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #1,276 of 1,288
Based on input from some folks here, I ordered an R-1 NOS.

It will be interesting to finally hear it, considering that I recently spent time with a Singxer SDA-6 Pro 2 and a Gustard R26. I liked the Singxer - it did nothing wrong, but it just did not do enough right to justify the cost over my existing Gustard X18. However, I flat out did not enjoy the R26; I found it thin and lacking any body - which was quite a shock considering all of the praise it gets.

I also ordered a Holo Cyan 2, and I will do a comparison, but it will take another month or so for delivery.

The question will be which one sounds better in which location - my desktop vs speaker systems...

I think you will really like it. Just remember that it is going to need at least 400 hours burn in, not including it's factory burn in. I bought mine in September and used it for a few hours every day. It didn't start to sound correct through the frequencies until January. My speakers sound like crack cocaine with the R-1 NOS. It's a hell of a DAC. Keep your boxes so you can return everything else 😁

May 14, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #1,277 of 1,288
I think you will really like it. Just remember that it is going to need at least 400 hours burn in, not including it's factory burn in. I bought mine in September and used it for a few hours every day. It didn't start to sound correct through the frequencies until January. My speakers sound like crack cocaine with the R-1 NOS. It's a hell of a DAC. Keep your boxes so you can return everything else 😁
Mine also started to give me hope around 500-600 hours…and it was a return product

May 14, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #1,278 of 1,288
May 14, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #1,279 of 1,288
R1N very nice for headphone. DI20HE takes it to another level and equals my R8H2 to my preference. 1:1 R8H2 wins but DI20HE is really big improvement
I will have a Gustard U18, plus clock on mine - hopefully that will do the trick.

But I could upgrade to the DI24... 🤔🤔

May 14, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #1,280 of 1,288
I will have a Gustard U18, plus clock on mine - hopefully that will do the trick.

Your welcome😊👍 - Start with nothing(DAC only). Let it burn and shine for 400-600hours. This process will train your ears. It is very crucial imo. Learn every break-in. It is not waste of time. It is an training/investment to your ears.

When you connect the U18 after 400hours your can register improvements without placebo is in the way.

The Gustard is a very good start into DDC.

May 14, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #1,281 of 1,288
Start with nothing(DAC only). Let it burn and shine for 400-600hours. This process will train your ears. It is very crucial imo. Learn every break-in. It is not waste of time. It is an training/investment to your ears.
@TheRealDz already has/had NOS DAC. In such case training brain for NOS takes no time. But Audio GD DAC needs long time to burn, it is a fact.

May 14, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #1,282 of 1,288

Are you buying the R1N with return policy?

May 14, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #1,283 of 1,288
Are you buying the R1N with return policy?
Poor joke, you didn't read a message. He has already decided on replacements. Question is which one goes to the main system / desktop.

May 14, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #1,284 of 1,288
My whole perception of the R1N is based on ACSS with HE-9 LE......on headphones.

Thanks to @oqvist challenging me with ACSS vs XLR. I realised R1N is close to completely another DAC on ACSS. I should have been a Audio-gd seller as much as I talk about the whole ecosystem.

Please have the ACSS, the headamps in mind. All R1N/XLR owners is missing out BIG time! - ACSS :hearts:

ACSS lifts up a veil and comes close to the music. Based on HE-9 LE.

As for R8H2. Yes there is a difference, but it still performs superb on XLR.

----

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #1,285 of 1,288
Any owners here of the R1-NOS ever compared it to an MHDT NOS DAC like Orchid or another of their models? Thanks

May 14, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #1,286 of 1,288
Any owners here of the R1-NOS ever compared it to an MHDT NOS DAC like Orchid or another of their models? Thanks
Very interesting. Based on Cirrus Logic?

---
EDIT: Sorry it is TDA1541 based. Still interesting
"The PCM56P's are teamed up with the CS8414 receiver chip in non-over-sampling mode. This limits the operation to 96Khz and precludes the use of an HDCD facility but then most NOS DAC's have a very similar specification in that respect. The tube output stage comes with a GE5670 and you can also use 2C51, 396A, 6385, 6CC42, 6854, 6N3, 6854, CV2575, CV4013, CV5894, CV8247, CV2381 alternatives, if you are into tube-rolling. There are inputs for SPDIF coaxial, Toslink, and USB. But I was a little disappointed that there is no BNC connector on a DAC at this price. Power is user selectable between 115 and 230 volts."

---

LOL... I like the BURT way of explaining the inputs:gs1000smile:

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #1,287 of 1,288
Anyone who doesn't believe in burn in, and instead explains things with brain burn in, needs to hear the R1NOS go through its burn in process.

My unit changed dramatically over the first 200 hours. It went from warm and syrupy with no resolution, to neutral with a tinge of warmth and decent resolution. This was odd, as my experience with dacs was that they would start with high resolution with etching, but would slowly mellow out. The R1NOS did the opposite.

I am eager to hear how it changes over the next few hundred hours. I am hoping for greater resolution, separation, and midrange layering.

We'll see...

May 25, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #1,288 of 1,288
This was odd, as my experience with dacs was that they would start with high resolution with etching, but would slowly mellow out. The R1NOS did the opposite.
That is perhaps in our brain, but I didn't experience such long term degradation. What I do experience in most of DACs is a fatigue which comes between half an hour to few hours of a session. Initial details, separation and harmonic coherency are gone, it is a time to stop listening.

Fortunately, there is no fatigue with my R2R-11. Also there was no fatigue with Ares. Spring 2L2 during a session had average fatigue factor, comparable to a good Delta-Sigma, however after finishing a session there was some dizziness in my brain, strange effect I never experienced before. Visual effects in a theatre cause the same, i.e. 3D ilusion in Lords of the rings movie.

A long-term burning is a fact, relaxing stress of solder joints, but forming capacitors is much shorter. Up to 500 hours you many notice a short-term regression, but next day wil be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back