As a new member, this is what I've found helpful about Head Fi
Apr 29, 2024 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Grom781

New Head-Fier
A few months ago I was looking to buy my first set of iems. Overwhelmed with the sheer volume of information and mixed opinions I found online it wasnt until I discovered Head Fi that I was able to piece together and understand what I should be looking for.
What I learned from reading countless Head Fi reviews and reading through the forums...
(I welcome any feedback pointing out something I've misunderstood. Im still quite new to this world)
- instead of buying one $150 or $300 iem straight off the bat, instead buy a handful of budget iems with vastly different sound signatures and figure out what you like first
- a small DAC AMP can really boost the level of enjoyment for the sound produced (even for budget iems) and especially if you're like me and usually listen to music from your iphone.
- everyone has different fitment needs and everyone has different preferences for different sound signatures. so just because someone likes an iem that I may not. this doesn't mean in any way that they're wrong. what sounds good to me may not be the same for everyone and vice versa.
- never take any single person as gospel, read a lot of reviews and forum posts before deciding on a new set for yourself. but remember everything is a gamble, and its all about testing out different sounds until you eventually find what you like.
- eartips can make all the difference. I personally love S&S Dunu tips, but I give iem's away to my family and friends for ones that personally have bought but dont see myself using regularly. each person will have a different favourite and its good to try a few different ear tips. along with S&S Dunu I also quite like Sedna Earfit Xlastics and Moondrop Springtips. (there are still lots more I have my eye on to try out)

I'd just like to end my first forum thread by thanking everyone in this community for helping me learn and understand this new world. I've finally come to a point where I think I have enough of a basic understanding of the fundamentals to start actually engaging and helping others out who were in my shoes and appreciate some guidance.

The iem's I own now are
- Truthear Zero Blue
- Moondrop Chu II
- 7hz x Crinacle Zero: 2
- Moondrop Aria
- Kbear KS1
- Kiwi ears Dolce
- KZ x HBB DQ6S
- Linsoul QKZ x HBB
- Final E500
- Tanzu wan'er
- Moondrop Quarks

One final note, I really noticed how respectful everyone is towards eachother here. Even those with different opinions are able to be respectful while noting their differing view. Its was a breath of fresh air in a time where arguments with strangers over the internet over seemingly anything and nothing at the same can always easily arise.
I was very happy to see people who can share their thoughts and opinions here and people seem to understand that everyone is just different so no one is necessarily wrong.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 11
That is rad that you didn't just buy a bunch of stuff. You learned the best thing...if it sounds good...it is good...and you decide that.

Cool to hear you are also stoked about helping others! Getting to share information with other people all over the world is one of the coolest things about here. I often forget just how cool it is.

Apr 29, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 11
Thankyou, I'm just glad I was able to find Head Fi and was able to learn from everyone. I only just became a member but I been reading through the forums and reviews building my knowledge. I suspect there are quite a number of others doing the same right now.
People not ready to start posting but still reading through and working up to making an account.
Im glad I was able to remind you that by helping one person who posts a question, when you respond you're probably helping dozens or more who also will find their way to that thread in their own time.
I never would've been able to know confidently why I like certain sets more than others and how to exactly articulate what I look for in a good set for myself if it wasnt for everyone helping eachother here.

Apr 29, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 11
Thankyou, I'm just glad I was able to find Head Fi and was able to learn from everyone. I only just became a member but I been reading through the forums and reviews building my knowledge. I suspect there are quite a number of others doing the same right now.
People not ready to start posting but still reading through and working up to making an account.
Im glad I was able to remind you that by helping one person who posts a question, when you respond you're probably helping dozens or more who also will find their way to that thread in their own time.
I never would've been able to know confidently why I like certain sets more than others and how to exactly articulate what I look for in a good set for myself if it wasnt for everyone helping eachother here.
That's totally what it's all about. Remembering that you are typing to actual other people who are reading! And...being helpful. It's rad to make a post about it. There is the potential to help waaay more than a dozen people. It's more exponential.

Help and sharing information...the good and the bad...is cool.

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 11
A few months ago I was looking to buy my first set of iems. Overwhelmed with the sheer volume of information and mixed opinions I found online it wasnt until I discovered Head Fi that I was able to piece together and understand what I should be looking for.
What I learned from reading countless Head Fi reviews and reading through the forums...
(I welcome any feedback pointing out something I've misunderstood. Im still quite new to this world)
- instead of buying one $150 or $300 iem straight off the bat, instead buy a handful of budget iems with vastly different sound signatures and figure out what you like first
- a small DAC AMP can really boost the level of enjoyment for the sound produced (even for budget iems) and especially if you're like me and usually listen to music from your iphone.
- everyone has different fitment needs and everyone has different preferences for different sound signatures. so just because someone likes an iem that I may not. this doesn't mean in any way that they're wrong. what sounds good to me may not be the same for everyone and vice versa.
- never take any single person as gospel, read a lot of reviews and forum posts before deciding on a new set for yourself. but remember everything is a gamble, and its all about testing out different sounds until you eventually find what you like.
- eartips can make all the difference. I personally love S&S Dunu tips, but I give iem's away to my family and friends for ones that personally have bought but dont see myself using regularly. each person will have a different favourite and its good to try a few different ear tips. along with S&S Dunu I also quite like Sedna Earfit Xlastics and Moondrop Springtips. (there are still lots more I have my eye on to try out)

I'd just like to end my first forum thread by thanking everyone in this community for helping me learn and understand this new world. I've finally come to a point where I think I have enough of a basic understanding of the fundamentals to start actually engaging and helping others out who were in my shoes and appreciate some guidance.

The iem's I own now are
- Truthear Zero Blue
- Moondrop Chu II
- Moondrop Aria
- Kbear KS1
- Kiwi ears Dolce
- KZ x HBB DQ6S
- Linsoul QKZ x HBB
- Final E500
- Tanzu wan'er
- Moondrop Quarks

One final note, I really noticed how respectful everyone is towards eachother here. Even those with different opinions are able to be respectful while noting their differing view. Its was a breath of fresh air in a time where arguments with strangers over the internet over seemingly anything and nothing at the same can always easily arise.
I was very happy to see people who can share their thoughts and opinions here and people seem to understand that everyone is just different so no one is necessarily wrong.

Great post and nice collection after just entering the game for a few months!! Agree with your points!

I also learnt this the hard way. That budget IEMs are really excellent to sample various sound signatures and see what you like. But once you know what it is you want, it is best to upgrade to MidFI ($100 - 500 USD) and call it a day.

MidFI IEMs are the sweetspot in terms of sonic performance. Modern day budget IEMs are really good, compared to just half a decade back, but collecting tons of budget ones may be tough to resell next time. After some time in this hobby, you open the drawers and see many unused budget gear (and we only have 1 pair of ears at any one time!). And lamentably, you realize these purchases could have added up to a nice TOTL IEM!

TOTL gear have massive diminishing returns. It is like maybe 10 - 20% improvement from MidFI but at 10x the price!

So unless cost is no issue, or you can't "unhear" TOTL sound, then really residing at midFI is where one can save the most money, but still get the most enjoyment! Just my 2 cents!

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 5:47 AM Post #6 of 11
Totally agree, I know exactly which ones I'll use and if I don't see myself using one ill let family or friends test them out and if they love them then its win-win. I get to learn something and get to give away a set to a home that will use them more than I will.

Thanks for heads up about diminishing returns, its good to know. For now I'm happy with the ones I have but I still have my eye on a few mid range ones I'm researching. One day ill pick one.

Thanks for your advice, I'm still learning and its very much appreciated.

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #7 of 11
So what's your current favorite? :wink:

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #8 of 11
So what's your current favorite? :wink:
Chu II is the most comfortable for me for long listening sessions and has the best fit for my ears. I dont have to adjust it much at all (I use these most since I also use them for podcasts, movies.. whatever).
7hz x Crinacle zero: 2 and DQ6S for music where I want to hear more of the bass. I boost the treble very slightly on both. I'll also occasionally use the 7hz how I use Chu II (as a do everything iem) but I instead lower bass to try and get the same neutral signature as Chu II but it isn't as natural sounding.
Aria for more "relaxed" styles of music (I dont really know how to describe why but I like just having one for when I want to close my eyes and listening to calm songs - I'm still figuring out where each one excels)
Final E500 for short sessions of gaming (I feel like I can never get the fit just right so after an hour or so I need to change them because I adjust them too much)
Truthear x Crinacle for gaming if I want to "try hard" and hear where people are but it doesn't give me the same spatial awareness as the Final E500.

Im still learning, Im very inexperienced and this is just random personal preferences more than anything. One day I might make an actual preferences post but this list is very much subject to change. And each day I try them out in different ways.

This was a hard question to answer for a newbie haha, I honestly dont think I have enough experience to be making lists of favourites but since you asked I'll say.
And btw, I'd love any advice on where one might excel and things to try out.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #9 of 11

The iem's I own now are
- Truthear Zero Blue
- Moondrop Chu II
- Moondrop Aria
- Kbear KS1
- Kiwi ears Dolce
- KZ x HBB DQ6S
- Linsoul QKZ x HBB
- Final E500
- Tanzu wan'er
- Moondrop Quarks

I am not an IEM guy, but I enjoyed reading your post.
I love Head-Fi and have been a hard core regular for about ten years. I still learn new stuff Every single day. The amount of info here is staggering.

Many days, even when I am not researching a product, I will just float through the headphone and desktop amp forums. I will learn tons of info about models that I will never own or even try.
Life as an info junkie. :smile:

Welcome to Head-Fi.

Apr 29, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #10 of 11
I am not an IEM guy, but I enjoyed reading your post.
I love Head-Fi and have been a hard core regular for about ten years. I still learn new stuff Every single day. The amount of info here is staggering.

Many days, even when I am not researching a product, I will just float through the headphone and desktop amp forums. I will learn tons of info about models that I will never own or even try.
Life as an info junkie. :smile:

Welcome to Head-Fi.
I'm really glad to hear and thats such a good term "info junkie". I love it, I definitely could associate myself with that term 😁

and thankyou for the warm welcome, I really appreciate it

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #11 of 11
I'm just glad I was able to find Head Fi and was able to learn from everyone. I only just became a member but I been reading through the forums and reviews building my knowledge.

I know this is going to sound a little crazy because you think you're new... but we're looking forward to learning from you too! Nobody knows everything, and we are the community that we are because we share with - and learn from - each other. :slight_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back