Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Jun 2, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #1,516 of 1,524
For a less-spendy option I can heartily recommend the Western Electric WE396A tubes as having a great tubey sound while still maintaining clarity and great frequency response.
I see these for $200 ea on TubeDepot. That's pushing it for my budget but I'll consider it. Do they require an adapter? I don't see 396A / 2C51 / 5670 listed in the Folkvangr manual.

Jun 2, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #1,517 of 1,524
I see these for $200 ea on TubeDepot. That's pushing it for my budget but I'll consider it. Do they require an adapter? I don't see 396A / 2C51 / 5670 listed in the Folkvangr manual.
I bought mine from vacuumtubes.net. They Still have them listed at $50 per tube but they told me the price has gone up to $75 per tube now and they just haven’t updated, I think it’s a very small operation, but they will match your tubes for no charge.

You do need adapters, but they’re inexpensive at Tubedepot

Jun 6, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #1,518 of 1,524
Speaking of TubeDepot - just came here to chime in that I got a pair of their Sovtek 6N1P's ($25.95 ea/$32~ with options) that they have listed delivered today. I haven't seen these mentioned.

They're shockingly good, I was about 4 songs in before I ordered another pair to have on deck. Very resolving, clean, natural, and controlled presentation. I was expecting to plug em in, give em a listen, and be like, meh another spare set to the pile, but instead I am very pleasantly surprised by how much I like them.

Edit: Just to throw out a somewhat comparable reference (new production Russian made), I have the Genalex Gold Lion 6922's and they fell into that "meh another spare set to the pile" category.

For what I typically like in this amp - I primarily listen to USA Amperex 7308's (have a pair of orange and white label, prefer the orange).

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #1,519 of 1,524
Speaking of TubeDepot - just came here to chime in that I got a pair of their Sovtek 6N1P's ($25.95 ea/$32~ with options) that they have listed delivered today. I haven't seen these mentioned.

They're shockingly good, I was about 4 songs in before I ordered another pair to have on deck. Very resolving, clean, natural, and controlled presentation. I was expecting to plug em in, give em a listen, and be like, meh another spare set to the pile, but instead I am very pleasantly surprised by how much I like them.

Edit: Just to throw out a somewhat comparable reference, I have the Genalex Gold Lion 6922's and they fell into that "meh another spare set to the pile" category.

For what I typically like in this amp - I primarily listen to USA Amperex 7308's (have a pair of orange and white label, prefer the orange).
Are your Golden Lions NOS or the new production ones?

Jun 6, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #1,521 of 1,524
New production AFAIK - not up on the history of it, but aren't all the Russian made Gold Lions new production? Is there even NOS for Gold Lion 6922/E88CC?
Honestly I’m not sure.

I know the same company and factory are making a ton of brands of tubes now. I don’t know if there’s a difference between the new production brands coming out of Russia

Jun 10, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #1,522 of 1,524
Does anyone know a good source for 12??7 to 6DJ8/6922 adapters for the Folkvangr?

I was one of the winners for the tube giveaway PSVANE is doing for the launch of their new line and I have 10 12AU7 tubes coming.

From what I understand I just need the adapter that will change the heater pins from series to parallel so that it will expect the 6.3V heater current the Folkvangr gives.

I’ve seen some shipping from China but didn’t know if anyone domestically was making those.

Jun 10, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #1,523 of 1,524
Does anyone know a good source for 12??7 to 6DJ8/6922 adapters for the Folkvangr?

I was one of the winners for the tube giveaway PSVANE is doing for the launch of their new line and I have 10 12AU7 tubes coming.

From what I understand I just need the adapter that will change the heater pins from series to parallel so that it will expect the 6.3V heater current the Folkvangr gives.

I’ve seen some shipping from China but didn’t know if anyone domestically was making those.
https://pulsetubestore.com/products...uction-base-9-pin-b9a-noval-not-made-in-china

Jun 10, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #1,524 of 1,524

Users who are viewing this thread

Back