CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Jun 12, 2024 at 6:13 AM Post #2,508 of 2,515
Can you elaborate further?
From what I've read it's noise generated by the m-scaler that feeds into the Dave, not from the streamer. Hence the focus on running the m-scaler with batteries - or expensive linear power supplies, although Rob doesn't recommend anything but the standard switching mode power supply (although he's designed his own for the Quartet Scaler). Rob does recommend running the m-scaler using a battery to remove the generated noise affecting Dave.

Jun 12, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #2,510 of 2,515
One of his latest comments on the Antipodes forum about his usual setup:
Oladra > BNC > M-Scaler > Dave
Yeah that was a mistake on my part. I meant "when not playing upscaled, he runs coax directly into MScaler". Thanks for catching my mistake.

Jun 12, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #2,511 of 2,515
but I think eventually even come down to preferring running the m-scaler with batteries to avoid rfi/emi leakage into Dave. I like the Chord sound, but have to say the whole complexity around the setup to remove rfi/emi leakage and achieve that smoother (slightly darker without loss of detail) sound always gives me pause for thought. Clearly some of the effort to avoid these issues have been implemented in the Quartet Scaler. But I'd still like the option and flexbility of running PGGB for any Dave setup personally.

I don't get the recommendation of running the MScaler off batteries to avoid RFI/EMI leakage into the DAC from MScaler. I had an MScaler and even when running it off batteries, the OPTO-DX brought a tremendous improvement. It struck me that the source of the RFI/EMI wasn't related to how the MScaler was powered but the fact that the FPGA inside the MScaler radiates a lot of noise. As such, I am not so inclined to believe the problem will be solved with the Quartet Scaler as it uses multiple FPGAs (like 5, I think).

I abandoned my MScaler when I purchased my K30 as I used funds from selling it to make it possible to purchase that. The amount of stuff I remove from my rack as a result was profound. The best part was that K30 + Gustard x26 pro was profoundly superior to Innuos Zenith Mk3 + MScaler + TT2. Money put towards the server will deliver more, in my humble opinion, than money put towards what it takes to perform the digital to analog conversion.

Jun 12, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #2,513 of 2,515
So if budget allowed, EX -> SRC•DX -> MScaler -> OPTO•DX -> TT2 would be a good solution?
First off, I think the OPT-DX is a must with MScaler. But have a look at my post just above yours for what I think is a much better way to go.

I should mention that my OPT-DX is for sale on Audiophile Style. Obviously I’ve not been in a rush to sell it so my positive comments aren’t a reflection of that. It shouldn’t be difficult to find me having written positive things about it before I listed it for sale. I intend to lower it the sale price at some point.

Jun 12, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #2,514 of 2,515
But have a look at my post just above yours for what I think is a much better way to go.
Yes I see your point but I wont ever know if K30 + Gustard x26 pro would be better than CX+EX + MScaler +OPTO•DX+TT2, and selling this gear isn't easy in New Zealand so trying different combinations is difficult. Really appreciate your feedback.

Jun 13, 2024 at 1:19 AM Post #2,515 of 2,515
Yes I see your point but I wont ever know if K30 + Gustard x26 pro would be better than CX+EX + MScaler +OPTO•DX+TT2, and selling this gear isn't easy in New Zealand so trying different combinations is difficult. Really appreciate your feedback.
Antipodes offers a 30 day money back guarantee. Aoshida Audio, who is a Gustard dealer, does as well. That's how I ended up figuring out that it was the right move for me. My ears are different from yours so you would have to find a combo that appeals to you. I hope you do get a chance to audition a better source as the improvements can be so significant but one has to hear it to believe it.

I should mention as well that I have upscaled much of my music using PGGB. That took away the advantage TT2 had in the digital domain over the x26pro. When the x26pro arrived I figured that it might take me a few swaps to determine which I would prefer, but the TT2 was never swapped back in. The x26pro was that much better - but the K30 should get a lot of credit too. With a lesser server the differences might not have been as large.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back